Principles of Integrative Medical Care
- The patient and practitioner are partners in the healing process.
- All factors that influence health, wellness and disease are taken into consideration.
- The care addresses the whole pet, including body, mind, and spirit in the context of community.
- Providers use all appropriate healing sciences to facilitate the body’s innate healing response.
- Effective interventions that are natural and less invasive are used whenever possible.
- Because good medicine is based in good science, integrative medicine is inquiry-driven and open to new models of care.
- Alongside the concept of treatment, the broader concepts of health promotion and the prevention of illness are paramount.
- The care is individualized to best address the pet’s unique conditions, needs and circumstances.
- Practitioners of integrative medicine exemplify its principles and commit themselves to self-exploration and self-development.